With Halloween Horror Nights sadly being put on hold until next year, I patiently waited for the first sign of the Pumpkin Spice Latte at my favorite coffee shop as an indicator that pumpkin season has officially arrived! That’s about the moment when I went on the hunt for new pumpkin decor, pumpkin candles, pumpkin candy, pumpkin pastries, pumpkin bagels, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin waffle mix and ESPECIALLY… pumpkin donuts.
I LOVE donuts.
I am here to give you the perfect pumpkin donut recipe to bring a little Halloween Horror Nights to your home. Not only are they deliciously pumpkin flavored, they’re also mini and very cute!
Mini Pumpkin Donuts with Green Icing Recipe
Makes 24 Mini Pumpkin Donuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup of pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups flour (plus a little more if dough is sticky)
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Green icing or white icing + green food coloring (from local grocery store for topping)
- In a large bowl mix the sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and nutmeg together.
- Add eggs, milk, and melted butter. Beat well.
- Add 3 cups of the flour, beating until blended. Add one more cup of flour and beat well. The dough should be soft and sticky but firm enough to handle. If you feel it’s necessary, add up to 1/2 cup more flour.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for (at least) one hour.
During your hour break, turn on the Halloween Horror Nights Spotify Playlist and imagine yourself standing in the fog. Now it’s time for the fun part.
- Remove your dough from the fridge and begin heating about 1 inch of oil to 360℉ in a large metal skillet or dutch oven.
- Working half the dough at a time, roll it out on a floured surface to about ½ inch thickness.
- Cut out circles using a mini donut cutter or small biscuit or cookie cutter, really anything that can give you a mini donut shape.
- For the center, I actually use the cap off a soda bottle to cut the holes. (Life hack!)
- Gently drop the donuts a little away from you in batches into the hot oil.
- As they begin to puff, flip them over with metal tongs and continue to flip a few more times as they cook. They will take about 2-3 minutes in total and will be a lovely golden brown color all over.
- Remove donuts from the oil and set them on top of paper towels draped over a plate.
- Grab the green icing you purchased from your local grocery store and drizzle over donuts as much as you’d like!
- If you’re unable to find green icing, you can mix green food coloring in any white frosting.
- For a little more fun, you can even crush up some cookie crumbles and lay the donuts on top to resemble a spooky little pumpkin patch.
- Take a photo and ENJOY!
RECIPE: Mini Pumpkin Donuts from Halloween Horror Nights was originally published on October 08, 2020 at 10:00AM by Michelle Russo from Universal Orlando Blog. Far Beyond Infinity Travel Blog takes no responsibility for errors in syndicated content.